A Step By Step Guide To Starting Your Fitness Journey
Here they are!
1. Be Mentally Ready: If you can convince your mind that you can achieve something, then you can convince your body. Fitness is 100% MENTAL. Truth is your body won't go where your mind doesn't push it.
2. Set A Goal For Yourself: Be realistic in setting your goals. Rome was not built in a day. Do not get discouraged when you don't achieve them. Even when it seems like you're not seeing results, keep going. Take it one day at a time. KEEP PUSHING!!!
3. Get A Workout Buddy: If you can find someone who shares the same interest with you and would motivate you on your fitness journey, that would be great. Positivity is contagious and so a your workout buddy should be someone who's positive and will bring out the best in you. It's still okay if you can't find one. (Self motivation)
*For moms, if you can get a gym with child care that would be okay. But if you would prefer working at home, improvise.
4. Improvise: If you can't be at a gym, improvise with whatever is around you at home. You would be surprised at the number of exercises you can perform in the comfort of your own home. E.g. Squats, alternating lunges, split squats with a seat etc
5. No Excuses: It's not about having the time to workout, it's about making time. If it matters as much as you say it does then get rid of your excuses and remind yourself of the reasons you started in the first place.
6. Plan Ahead: Learn how to meal prep (meal preparation). This will help you to avoid binging or eating unhealthy. It's also essential that you plan your workouts too as it helps you to workout with purpose. Planning also helps you to monitor your diet and workout changes. Get rid of whatever would distract or stop you from working out the next day. Do your chores earlier and make time for workout.
7. Self Motivation: As for me, I am motivated by new songs on my playlist so I update my playlist regularly. Find out what makes you even more eager to continue your fitness journey. It could be a new song, new workout clothes, different gym, new workout routine etc. Some people are motivated by pictures of some fitness enthusiasts. Make one of your favorite pictures your wall paper or put it where you can easily see it.
8. Be Proud Of Yourself: Never forget 'YOU'. Do not underestimate your efforts and always appreciate yourself. Pat yourself on the back once in a while when you have achieved a goal. Treat yourself to something nice, get yourself a gift when necessary. It's called 'self-reward'.
Keep on keeping on! »
Jackie Appiah »